Opossums become problematic when they nest and forage. They can cause serious issues in both residential and commercial areas.
Opossums are carriers of numerous unwanted pests. Fleas, lice, mites, and ticks can all be introduced to your home area through their presence. They can also carry a protozoan known as Sarcocystis neuroma, which can cause neurological disease in equines:
- 21 – 31″ long
- Usually gray but can vary from red to brown
- White-tipped guard hairs on their fur coat
- Pointed face with large, hairless ears
- Long hairless, rat-like tail
When opossums infest or nest nearby, you may notice one or more of these signs:
- Loud scratching noises similar to rats and mice but louder.
- Hissing and shrieking, clicking or lip smacking.
- Damage to shingles, roofing, siding, eaves, and gutters.
- Smell is one of the most distinct characteristics of an opossum infestation; their droppings can soak into building materials and insulation, causing a pungent odor.
- If you have a pet, their food vanishing faster than usual can signal an opossum foraging.
Unlike their close relative, the possum, opossums don’t “play possum” or dead when threatened. They usually stand their ground and bare their sharp teeth when pets, other animals, or people confront them. If an opossum has nested in your home area, it’s best to have one of our experts investigate and handle the threat, so you avoid a possible bite.
In addition to handling opossums, we will also work to treat and protect your home area against future infestations. Contact us today for a home evaluation!
YOU WANT OPOSSUMS TO STAY OUTSIDE.
So Do We.
Carolina’s Organic Pest Specialists
- Structural Rodent Exclusion (SRE)
40 Years of Family
It’s Easy To Live
1. Call Us: We offer both phone and in-person evaluations to identify the best course of action to solve your pest problem.
2. Schedule Service: We strive for same day service or at your earliest convenience.
3. Live Pest Free: Our pest prevention plans give our customers the peace of mind that keeps pests out!
Carolina’s Way is wonderful…they have someone out as soon as possible to check the situation. They’re diligent, they’re reasonable. The people are friendly and they clean up. I can’t say enough good things about them.
Having a trusted service provider makes things so much easier. I know that they’re going to be there. I know that they are going to show when they are supposed to. I know that they are going to make sure they take care of the problem for me.
I was very impressed with the immediate response/ same day service yesterday, and Kevin was great! So happy were not hearing any more noises in the attic.